Friday, June 13, 2008

Flag Day


Yes, today is flag day. I never knew there was such a day until we moved here. Each year the elementary school has a big flag day celebration. Let me just tell you, I dread flag day. This is the 3rd year I've gone to it. The festivities take place outside and include singing, speakers, singing, speakers...for about an hour. Normally the weather here in June is not hot, but on flag day it always is scorching hot. So this is how it went down today...I rushed around all morning getting everyone ready, digging through clothes for red, white or blue clothing (the school sends home a note saying wear flag colors), rushed over to the school, parked 3 miles away and walked with Ryan and Caleb, stood outside in 90 degree humid weather for an hour chasing down Caleb and Ryan who ran in opposite directions several times during the hour. Finally found a spot of dirt that they could eat and throw and completely cover their clean, bathed bodies in (at least they are entertained). Then 2 different neighbors find me and say that Ireland is upset because she can't see me. So while I'm trying to keep an eye on Ryan and Caleb eating dirt, I am waving down Ireland every 10 minutes so she knows I'm there (and having a blast!). Following the joyous festivities, we have a lunch on the grass (in the scorching sun). I couldn't find Ethan, Ryan of course drops his food on the ground, Caleb somehow gets a hold of the mustard and squirts it all over him (mustard, dirt--he's looking great), finally find Ethan with his teacher--they've been looking for me. We find Ireland, have a less than desirable hot dog, Caleb and Ryan get watermelon all over their clothes, and we are done. I think I need the "mom of the year award" for even attempting flag day again! But I know you've all had days like this, so there would be some stiff competition. Ahhh, I feel better venting all this. Thanks. BTW, by the time I got the camera out to get a picture of Ireland or Ethan, they were long gone. The back of Ethan is barely visible in this picture (navy shirt, 4th in line). Nice.

P.S. I'm liking the snowflake template today. Anyone have a good blog template site to share? I realize it's June and snowflakes don't really go.

3 comments:

Brit H. said...

You really ARE a champ. I am always amazed by everything that you do all by yourself! Good job! I will give you a mother of the year award next time I see you!

Mia said...

Oh my gosh! I totally forgot how to comment on your blog for like three months! It just came back to me this minute! (I'm almost 40 you know.) Holy crap. Anyway, weren't you a little frustrated with me that I never posted a comment? SORRY! OK, back to Flag Day. Hurrah! Holidays are for people who have nothing better to do. Ha! That's my thought. Loved your story! Especially (and having a blast!) Hahahahaha

Hacking it up said...

Dang....
I hate days like that...but you handled it like a champ!! Is school out yet? ...I thought we got out late this year...can't wait to see you all in July!!!