Tuesday, May 19, 2009

House Update

Here's the skinny on the house situation...we are 0 for 6. Yes, we've made 6 offers and had no luck! The housing market is ridiculous right now.

House #1--great house, near train tracks that haven't been used in years, found out city is going to revitalize the tracks to use for the Trax system. We pulled out of that offer
House #2--owners decided to rent it instead of sell it and hope the market gets better next year so they can sell it for more
House #3--waited 1 month to find out there was a lien on it that can not be taken off for some reason, so it cannot be sold. Note: It was built at the end of 2007 and has never been lived in
House #4--next door to house #3, has been sitting unoccupied since 2007, found out our offer was accepted while I was on the runway flying to Utah to look at houses again because nothing was working out. Pulled out of the offer because after looking at houses again we realized it was priced too high for the market
House #5--looked like we were going to get an acceptance then they decided to try to refinance.
House #6--Bank owned, won't take anything less than what is owed even though the realtor said the appraisal won't support the amount owed.

I think we are in the lead for the worst luck buying a house. Actually, it seems lots of people are in the same boat. The market is crazy. Good thing we have a couple of tents and some sleeping bags.

I think the plan now is to rent for a month and try again once we are out in Utah to find a house before school starts. I'll keep you updated.

4 comments:

Jen V said...

So glad for the update! How stressful! I agree - you've got some bad luck there! I know what it's like to move (across state and out of state twice) and how much pressure it is to find somewhere to live with such a limited amount of time!!
I am sure it will all work out for the best. And this way - once you get to Utah, you can kind of get into a routine and find out where you feel comfortable - Scott's commute - who you are spending the most time with, etc. It may just be an extremely stressful blessing in disguise!
I'm so sorry you guys are so stressed and having bad luck - I'll keep you in my prayers. XOXO

Allred Family said...

Oh my, that is crazy. We had our houe hunting fun...but came up empty handed. We put an offer on a home, they countered (small counter) but just enough to second guess our decision and since we had only seen the house once I couldn't remember certain things about it and got nervous about spending so much money on something I couldn't remember too well. We decided to wait (it has been on the market 10 months figured it would still be available if we waited a month to go back out and take a second look). We are going out again in June to see a few more things. I totally feel your pain, well maybe not quite, it sounds like you guys have really been put through the ringer. It is SO hard to make a decision about buying a house when you live far away and only have a few days to see so many things and then have to decide in a crunch. I'm certain things will work out for the best for you guys. I'm sure it will be one of those situations you will look back on and realize just why it had to be the way it was. I'm totally stressing out because we don't have the ability to rent we have to find something. Sorry for the extra long comment. Good luck and I will be thinking of you!

Heather said...

That's got to be a record...why does home buying have to be so complex??? Must be because the perfect Hacking House is still out there. Hope you find it soon! And hope to catch you in SLC a little more often than we caught you in Rochester! :)

Richardson Five said...

Oh man. I hope you find what you need soon. Sounds like a crazy time to buy. I have to agree with Heather, there must be that perfect home out there for you. It's probably just nerve racking.